Berry Street’s GOALS (Going Out and Living Successfully) program provides support and accommodation for young people who are homeless, at risk of homelessness or about to leave out-of-home care. For these young people who have experienced disadvantage, the program helps them develop the skills and approach they need to live independently.
How GOALS works
GOALS prevents youth homelessness and teaches valuable life skills by:
- providing safe, secure, temporary accommodation for young people
- promoting education, training and employment opportunities
- helping young people with their independent living skills, personal development, community involvement and social activities
- supporting young people to transition into safe, secure and sustainable long-term housing.
Berry Street runs two GOALS houses in areas of socio-economic disadvantage: one within Melbourne’s Northern suburbs and another in Morwell (Gippsland, Victoria) to open in late 2019. Both areas have a high risk of vulnerability and homelessness among children and young people, including among those leaving care.
Typically, the young people will first live in the house in a shared accommodation space, before moving into a one-bedroom unit for more independence. The young people stay for up to two years while focusing on their education and employment as a pathway to independent living. GOALS partners with a local real estate agent that provides references for when young people transition into a shared or private rental.
The program provides a strong focus on developing social skills, promoting respect and linking participants to their community to prevent social isolation and loneliness.
All young people must be employed and/or studying to remain the program, as this supports a pathway into independent living.
To be eligible for GOALS, young people need to be:
- 16 - 25 years of age (referrals accepted up to 23 years of age)
- experiencing homelessness, at risk of homelessness, or leaving out-of-home care
- involved in and motivated to maintain study, training or employment
- able to live in a share environment, manage personal responsibilities and have independent living skills
- willing to actively engage in the program, attend house meetings and participate in case management
- receiving an income via employment or Centrelink
- willing to pay 25% of their income towards a program fee.
Get in touch
For more information about GOALS, including vacancies and eligibility, please call our Northern office on (03) 9450 4700 or email email@example.com.
Thanks to generous support from the community, Berry Street has been successfully running the GOALS program since 2012.
Our Philanthropy Team continues to seek philanthropic partners to maintain GOALS and expand the program to new regions, where there are increasing rates of young people experiencing or at risk of homelessness. We also invite interest in supporting operating costs for the program at both properties.
For more information or to get involved, please get in touch with our Head of Philanthropy, Loretta Mannix-Fell, on (03) 9421 7587 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.