How to help children and young people through the COVID-19 pandemic
Berry Street has been working hard to respond to COVID-19 and put in place all the necessary supports in order to deliver our critical services safely and sustainably.
The COVID-19 pandemic is an unprecedented event and there’s a lot of conflicting information coming at us all from every direction.
We’ve developed some resources to help you support the children and young people in your life at this uncertain time.
Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations (ACCOs) throughout Australia have developed culturally appropriate COVID-19 posters, video clips and fact sheets for organisations working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. We have compiled a list of these resources to help support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, young people and families throughout this challenging time.
We’ll continue to add to these resources so please check back here or follow us on Facebook for regular updates.
Support for parents and carers
- Caring for children in out-of-home care during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Creating a soothing new household rhythm in uncertain times
- Rhythm template
- Be kind to yourself
- Kids Helpline is open 24/7 to answer your call, email or WebChat
- Considerations for remote contact visits
- Foster care worker resource hub from Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare
- How regulating bodies helps regulate minds
- Create healing moments at home
- Getting tested for COVID-19
Resources to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Tips on how to keep you and your mob safe from COVID-19
- Stop the spread of Coronavirus poster
- Activity sheets for children
- Little J and Big Cuz video
- Sean Choolburra: Stay healthy, strong and connected video
- Questions and answers from VACCA
- Staying safe through COVID from Deadly Story
- Each person’s experience of COVID-19 is unique
- How COVID-19 intensifies symptoms of mental illness
- Tips, tricks and resources: What’s been helping during COVID-19 and as we transition into our new “normals”
Understanding my reactions
- Supporting children during COVID-19 information sheet
- Optimising your decision-making energy
- A student’s view on getting ready to learn video
Getting ready for learning
- Co-regulating (online) classrooms during crisis
- De-escalation strategies
- Helping kids get ready to learn video
- My Day StartUp Routine template
- Scaffolding Learning with Rich Tasks: Curriculum Design
- Helpful prompts for learning
- Prepare for learning chart
- Building stamina in at-home learning