Moonda Nerran Briel Project
The Moonda Nerran Briel Project is a community-based project aimed at assisting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people in the Latrobe Valley.
For Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander young people participating in the Moonda Nerran Briel Project we will provide a flexible outreach service.
Each young person participating will have an Individual Standing Strong Plan developed and individually tailored with them to identify their cultural interests, and personal, social, education and career aspirations, to engage them in community.
Standing Strong Plans will assist these young people to maximise their participation in learning and connection to community. Standing Strong Plans will have an emphasis on the role of culture in building confidence, social engagement and positive identity.
The aim of the Standing Strong Plans will be to strengthen connection to peers, family, community, education, training, recreation and social engagement, also with an emphasis on the role of culture in building confidence. The project will have a particular focus on supporting pathways to learning for participants.
Who would benefit from this Project?
Eligibility is to accept referrals for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander young people aged from 10-17 years who:
- Are living in Morwell, Moe & Traralgon or surrounds
- Have been identified as not making a successful transition from primary to secondary schools
- Are experiencing low attendance or participation at school or within vocational education
- Are not enrolled in school
- May be experiencing social, emotional or family barriers
- Would benefit from support to overcome challenges in successfully participating at school or within vocational education
- Would benefit from support to reduce any challenges to community engagement, including social, emotional, family and school attendance issues.